Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Morning Rounds

There is no such thing as a typical day here on our farm. Our routines vary greatly from season to season and even day to day. So, let me give you a snapshot of my rounds this morning before I climbed on the tractor for another day of planting peanuts.








We are irrigating our watermelons, and had left the center pivot irrigation system watering all night.  The first order business then is check that everything is still functioning ok with it.










Next it's off to take a look at the cantaloupes since I haven't had the chance to check them all week.  They are blooming heavily, and a few are setting some fruit.















On the way around the fields I pass the beehives, where the honeybees are just beginning to venture out for the morning. Bees are essential for pollination for our watermelons and cantaloupes.












Finally, on the way to the peanut field, I stop to check on some emerging cotton. Last evening, it was only cracking the ground. This morning, it's up.



All the preliminaries out of the way, I get on my tractor for another long day of planting peanuts. Have a great day!





No comments:

Post a Comment